Monday, June 1, 2009

The cake part two

All I can say is Thank God the party is over, the cake is eaten and I never have to ice another marshmallow in my life. I'll start this post where the other one left off though.

So trial #3. The yellow cake with the runny icing. The icing never did firm up. Not even after sitting in the microwave for hours. It was in the microwave because I didn't want to cover it with anything but I couldn't leave it on the counter or it would have the same demise as the hot pink cake. This yellow cake was horrible. I had to work the night that I made this one so when I got home I asked Brian if he had seen the cake. His reply was 'yeah, what was with the icing, why did it all melt off of it?'. Greeeaaaat, so the icing never set.

(bet you all want a piece don't you?)

(this angle really shows off the beauty of this icing)

So after that monstrosity I decided to try another trial cake. I had bought more icing sugar and felt confident that this time I could do this right. I had to do it right. The next day was Saturday and I had to ice the real cakes then!

I made my icing and it was looking good. I added the new blue gel that I had bought (royal blue) and the colour was much better. I did a crumb coat on the cake and set it aside. Then I mixed some of the no-taste red into some more icing. The colour was no better. Still hot pink, but maybe a little less so. But the icing was edible so I was just going to use it anyways. I did a crumb coat on this one too.

While I waited for those to set I made the two 13x9 cakes that I would need for the birthday party. I had to freeze these over night so that the next day I could frost them all. I figured each person would have half of a cube so I'd need to make 11 cubes. That meant 44 marshmallows. I was slowly loosing my will to live.

The icing was set on the trial cakes so I started icing them. I'd read to dip the spatula in hot water in order to get a smooth coat so I tried that. It worked quite well. I finished frosting both of these cakes and ended the night feeling optimistic about the millions of cakes I would have to make. I also decided that these two cakes were no longer 'trial' cakes. I was going to use them too since they turned out decent! So into the fridge they went to spend the night.

That night I laid in bed trying to figure out how to make them without having to ice forty-four freaking marshmallow halves. I really did not want to do that. I decided that I could stack one cube on top of another, thus eliminating 4 marshmallows. They were mega blocks after all, shouldn't they be stacked?

Saturday night I spent about 4 hours frosting these little cubes. Four hours. After about 30 minutes I decided I had to make a decision. Either stop caring if they are 'perfect' or drive myself (and Brian) mental. So yeah, there ended up being some crumbs in the cake. There were lines in the frosting, some had marshmallow showing through. Whatever. I never claimed to be a professional cake maker. They were good enough for a two year old's party.

And I have to admit they turned out okay.

(don't mind the big thumbprint in the front red/pink one, I had some issues getting them from the parchment paper in the cake box to the serving tray!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go! They look great and I'm glad you decided to chill out a bit and realize that only or Betty Crocker can be Betty Crocker. Fabulous job!!! .... can we see some pictures of the birthday boy??? ...Sarah