Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween!

Just a quick post with some photos and funnies from Jackson's third Halloween and Lexi's first.

Beautiful field of pumpkins

So you get the idea I was going for with this picture. A nice fall photo of the kids. A little hard when one kid can't hold herself up and the other is scared of the teeny scarecrow on the other hay bales.

I was planning on sewing both the kids costumes. Lexi was going to be a caterpillar and Jackson was going to be a spider. I had most of the supplies to make them, but never had the time. Then I came across a spider costume on UsedVictoria and saw it as fate. For Lexi I decided that she was just too little to dress up and instead I would wear her in my wrap with a pumpkin hat on. Done and done!

On Wednesday we had a Halloween party at our play group so I packed up Jackson's new spider costume. When we got there and I tried to put it on him he freaked out! Wanted nothing to do with it and was actually scared of it, lol! Great. So the next day we went out to the stores to try to find a new costume that he might actually wear. We settled on this horse that the kid just steps into. So he's not actually dressed up as a horse, it's more like he's a cowboy and riding the horse. Less scary to him I guess. Then I managed to find a cowboy hat the next night. He also happened to already have a long sleeve button down western looking shirt. So voila his new costume is ready. We even got him to wear the horse and gallop around (giving him a mini Oreo cookie every time he galloped to us, bribery works wonders).

Halloween afternoon we went to our local mall where they have kids festivities on. Almost every store in the mall hands out candy to the little trick or treaters and there is kid's entertainment, a bouncy castle, and a photo booth set up. We brought both of Jackson's costumes to the mall, still hoping he might wear the spider costume (it is way cuter). Amazingly enough we got to the mall and he willingly got into the spider costume! No tears, no yelling 'no', nothing! It was amazing! He looked so cute!

Look how cute I am!

The mall was a zoo. It was so busy! I can't even begin to guess how many kids were there. We got there right at 3 (it went from 3-5) and there were already hoards of costumed kids everywhere. By 4pm a lot of the stores had signs up saying they had no more candy. Jackson got so good at trick or treating! It was hysterical to watch him because he'd walk up to the person and hold his hand out, half the time he'd say trick or treat and the other half the time he'd just stare at the candy. Then when they gave him the candy he'd immediately look to see what he got. If they put it in his bucket he would stop dead in his tracks and try to root around in his bucket to find the new addition. After a while he just started plopping himself on the ground to root through the bucket, lol!

You mean I can't eat it all right now?

No, you're not in the way at all...

After our crazy hour at the mall we headed home for dinner and trick or treating at the neighbours houses. We got home around 6 and there were already tons of kids out! We ended up having to eat our dinner on the stairs so that we could hand out candy. I took the kids out while Brian stayed home. Jackson did really well trick or treating and got some more candy. How much candy does a two year old really need? People would give him 3-4 mini chocolate bars because "he's just sooo cute!".

Ready to head out for more candy!

And this was after we took out the stuff he can't have!

When we got home we sat on our bed and watched the fireworks out our bedroom window. The street behind us was having a bonfire and doing some fireworks. While we sat there we let Jackson have two choices from his bucket. He chose a marshmallow pumpkin ("I like dis Mommy!") and a piece of licorice ("I don't like dis"). Then off to bed on a sugar high, lol!

No comments: