Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Get ready... It's coming...

Jackson's birthday is in just under 2 weeks. So do you all know what that means?

It means Birthday Cake Hell is underway at the Hussain household!! This year I've stepped it up a notch and am going to attempt using fondant. I've heard it's easy. It certainly ends up looking beautiful. But lets see how I can mess that up shall we? Let's see how many curse words I can utter (okay, how many I can yell) while I make this lovely cake. Maybe I should start a jar where I put a quarter in every time I curse. Use the money to pay for our flights home at Christmas.

I asked Jackson what he wanted his theme to be at his birthday this year. When he was one he chose construction (lol, okay I chose that). My sister made his birthday party cake (I made his smash cake). Last year he chose Pocoyo. I couldn't figure out a Pocoyo cake so he got the lego cake (for a refresher check out here and here). This year he wants Mickey Mouse. So I thought "cool, I can make the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the cake!". Nope, he wants Mickey. I don't want to make a flat Mickey Mouse head. That's way too easy for me! Where's the challenge in that? Where's the nights of stressfully obsessing over a cake for a child's birthday party? Mickey Mouse head, pshhhhaw!

So I'm going to attempt this:
But on the top will be the Mickey Mouse figurines instead. Seems simple enough, no?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OM-Goodness! Please, please, please put the fondant down. Slap a boxed cake mix in a tin, bake it, frost it (from a can), and poke a mickey mouse doll onto the top. Jackson would be trilled and you'd be sane (and Brian would be sane). ...I know that won't happen so I'll look forward to the cake-baking posts in all their glory. Shudder at the thought. :-)